Nawada district is situated in the southern part in Bihar and is one of the thirty-eight district of Bihar State. Nawada town is the administrative headquarters of this district. It occupies an area of 2,494 square kilometers (963 sq mi) and is located at 24.88N 85.53E. In 1845, it was established as a Subdivision of the Gaya district. On 26th January 1973, Nawada was formed as a separate district. The origin of the name Nawada is believed to lay in a corruption of the old name Nau-abad or the new town which was earlier known as ‘The Eliot Market (Bazaar)’. It is divided into two parts by Khuri River, the Portion on the left bank being the older, while that on right bank is modern and Contains public offices, sub-jail, dispensary and school. Famous “Sarvoday Ashram” inaugurated by Desh Ratana Dr. Rajedra Prasad and nourished by Shree Jai Prakash Narayan has enhanced the glory of Nawada.
Kakolat Waterfall is a picturesque waterfall in Nawada district, popular with tourists due to its scenic surroundings. The falls also play a role in Hindu mythology, when according to legend an ancient king was turned into a python by a rishi’s curse and lived within the falls. Folklore suggests that Krishna Used to go there with his queens for taking bath. This is one of the best waterfalls in India. Water of this fall is cold for the whole year. The fall is about 150 to 160 feet, from the ground level.
52 Kothi 53 Dwar
This is situated in Budahauli Village of Budhauli Panchayat of Pakribarwan Block. This place keep its importance in terms of Educational and Religious Centers. In this monastery, there are many statues of Ashta metal placed, there are statues of Lord Vishnu, Sita, Ram and Shankar etc. The First President of India Dr. Rajendra Prasad has visited this monastery and several famous personalities like Mahatma Gandhi, Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan also visited this place. Dr. Surya Prakash Puri had donated 250 acres of land for Magadh University and the University is running on its land.
Budhauli Monastery, Budhauli
This is situated in Budahauli Village of Budhauli Panchayat of Pakribarwan Block. It was mainly the center of religion spiritualism and knowledge. There is a large lake in this monastery, where water from all the rivers of the world have been brought into the pool. Budauli Math is made up of 1800 AD. There is still a beautiful Durga Mandap in this center. The Goddess is worshiped every year on Navratra . In past, 101 Mahatma and Purohohi were used to visit this place frequently. These two centres of Pakribarawan are of great importance in terms of tourism and religion.
The democracy gate, situated at the democracy chowk of Nawada district headquarters, is considered the symbol of freedom of the country. After independence, the democracy was built by the late Kanhai Lal Sahu. The fully built Gateway on 26 January 1950 still creates a passion for Indian independence among people.
Baba ki Majar & Sankat Mochan Temple
Hazrat Syed Shah Jalaluddin Bukhari’s mazar and Rambhakta Hanuman temple, located together in Nawada on Patna-Ranchi main road, are considered as symbols of communal harmony. On Friday, the people of Hindu and Muslim communities on the mazar of Baba demand a candle after offering a sheet. On the same day there may be a huge crowd of devotees in the Hanuman temple. Akshaya Tritiya of Vaishakh Shukla Paksha is celebrated every year. Immediately after Ajmer Sharif’s Urs, huge Urs is celebrated every year on Baba’s Mazar.
Surya Mandir Handiya, Nardiganj
Surya Narayan Dham Temple located in the Handaia village of Naradiganj block of Nawada district is quite ancient. It is one of those historic Sun temples that symbolises the faith of the people. During the excavation surrounding the temple, the relics of the symbol and the stone-made chariot path were obtained. It is believed that this temple has been associated with Dwapar era. A pond is located near the temple. It is believed that leprosy is removed after bathing in this water. On Sunday, a large number of people worship the bath in the pond and worship the sun temple.
Narad Museum was established in 1974 and is located in the district headquarter. This is one of the major museums of the State which is under renovation at present. The multipurpose museum has Stone artifact from Paal Dynasty (750-1120 AD) and spectacular manuscripts of 18th -19th Century AD. The museum has over 2,000 artifacts among them are: Black red pottery from Devengarh, Clay seals and beads from Dharaut, Lord Vishnu Stone statue from Najardih dated 5-13th century, Gupta’s era Temple flag from Mahrawan and Handmade axe from the forests of Kakolat(which proves the existence of human civilization) are spectacular to watch.
Sokhodewra Ashram, Kawakole
Sekhodevara village, situated about 55 kilometers from the district headquarters, is very scenic . By combining two tolas called Sekho and Deora, the Sekhodevara village is made up. Sarvodaya Ashram in the village, which was established in 1952 by Jayprakash Narayan. A rock between the forest situated about 500 meters from the ashram, was built by J.P. Known as the rock. During the independence movement of 1942, fleeing from Hazaribagh jail, the famous leader and revolutionary late Jayaprakash Narayan was hiding near these rocks.
Sitamarhi is located approximately 30 kilometers south-west of Nawada district headquarters. This place has been famous as a major cultural center since ancient times. Here is 16 feet long and 11 feet wide ancient caves. A rounded rock is cut and the tuber is made, within which stones are polished. This cave is believed to be a Mauryan carpet on the basis of the poles. Prevalent belief is that the cave was constructed to give shelter to the saints of the honourable community. But the locals consider it a place of residence of Sita during the exile. Within the cave, the statue of Goddess Lakshmi is established. A rock is divided into two parts outside the cave. It is also linked to the incident of Sita ji’s assimilation. In addition, local people believe that it is the birthplace of Love-Kush.
Shri Gunawan Ji Tirth
Gunawan ji Tirth is located in Gonawan village of Nawada district. This temple is dedicated to Jain Muni Gandhar Gautam Swami. It is believed that Gautam Swami was a disciple of Mahavir ji. After 12 years of salvation of Lord Mahavir, Gautam Swami got salvation at this place.It was established by the Jains. This ancient temple belongs to Lord Mahavir’s time. At present, Mr. Jain is supervising this temple, Shri Jain Shvetambar is investing in the reservoir.
Town and police outpost in the Nawada subdivision situated on the right bank of the river Tailya on the Gaya-Nawada road, 9 miles from Nawada and 27 miles from Gaya town, in 24º30’ N and 85º25’ E. It has a considerable reputation for the manufacture of ornamental pottery, contains the residence of several wealthy zamindars, and has recently gained some commercial importance Railway. The place is also of some historical interest as having been the Headquaters of Namdar Khan and Kamgar Khan, military adventures of the eighteenth century. Previous to the permanent settlement, Namdar Khan and his brother, Kamgar Khan was amils of subahdars. The former owned 14 parganas and 84 ghatwali gadis or rent free tenures, which extended beyond the confines of the district into Patna and Hazaribagh.
Warisaliganj to the north of Nawada Town is an important mart, founded by Waris Ali Khan, a member of the family Kamgar Khan. Warisaligang, the name is some time spelt Worseleygang from an erroneous belief that it was named after Mr. Worseley, a former Deputy Magistrate of Nawada.